Occasionally when I mention that I still read aloud to all my children, I see raised eyebrows. Yes, it is true, my boys love reading and are fully capable of zipping through novels on their own.Yes, I could hand my boys their history or science books and tell them to handle the assignments alone. But....
I LOVE reading aloud with my children. I LOVE to curl up on the couch with them as they listen to me read. I LOVE experiencing wonderful stories together, and being able to discuss them as we go. Often we stop reading and end up down a rabbit trail that started from something we read, but it is through these rabbit trails I really learn my children's' hearts and am able to speak truth into their lives I may now have thought about mentioning otherwise.
Read aloud time is a time that we are all drawn together and I wouldn't trade it for the world.
I'm reading aloud to Becca (age 14) as she works on her embroidery...and then another book to Becca and Robbie (age 12). Both books are gripping historical fiction that provoke discussion and allow us to "be there". We've always read aloud a lot and have lots of wonderful memories of those cozy days. Added bonus: they all have excellent vocabularies and good grasp of many issues.
ReplyDelete