Today I let my children make cookies. I sat on the couch and forced myself to read a magazine. It's not that I didn't want to read (in fact I was really looking forward to it), but I have to admit it is so much easier to do things myself, clean up myself. I'm one of those people who likes things done a certain way, and I've been battling it for years now!
I could have just had the oldest(10) do it, he is completely capable of making cookies (as well as many other dishes, praise God for the help when I need it!). I could have had my middle son(7) do it. He is getting to the age where he is becoming capable. He still needs a little help but with some practice he'll be independent soon. I could have done it myself with my 3 year old "helping" in measured doses.
Instead, I decided that teaching them to work together was much more valuable than any of their individual cooking skills. I wanted them to learn patience when their sister takes forever to stir in one ingredient, or when their brother mis-measures an ingredient. I wanted them to learn that being kind and caring to each other was more important that the finished product. I wanted them to learn that working as a team is part of life.
We've been reading I am also reading Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends out loud as well (finally!, and that is part of what spurred this on. While I know and agree with these things, the little kick to put them into practice was much needed in or home!
Good post! I've read that book before, when my kids were much younger. Maybe it would be good for me to get it again and share it with them. On a kids helping/chore note, I have finally started having the kids put their dishes into the dishwasher when they bring them to the kitchen. No, they aren't usually in "the right spot", but they are learning that more needs to be done to clean up after them. Also, I am having them bring in the grocery bags now, which is teaching them that there are multiple parts to the grocery shopping chore. Thanks for the working together reminder. Maybe I'll have the kids decide who carries what grocery bag and have the older ones help the younger ones bring in appropriate sized bags. Thanks for the inspiration!
ReplyDelete