»

Monday, January 25, 2010

Ruth


I absolutely love reading the book of Ruth to kindergartners.  I still remember the first time Peter and I read it, and this week I found out he does too! They "get it" so quickly. I love that God has made his Word so accessible, even to children! 

9 “ To whom will he teach knowledge?
      And whom will he make to understand the message?
      Those just weaned from milk?
      Those just drawn from the breasts?
       10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept,
      Line upon line, line upon line,
      Here a little, there a little.”
~Isaiah 28

Ruth is especially fun though. There are so many ways to bring it to their level. 
 

 I scattered grain in the back yard so they could "reap" like Ruth did. I gave them barley and they  tried to make it into flour. After about 15  minutes they were glad when I tossed it in the Vitamix and did it the easy way.  We used the flour to make bread (and math turned to science when it didn’t rise quite right for them).
  We talked about the Israelite culture a lot(social studies).  From family structure, to farming practices, to the impact of redemption. We talked about character. There is so much to learn from both Boaz and Ruth.
This time the Lord really showed me specifically about Ruth’s respect for authority. She asked for permission, she followed orders with a good attitude. She was know as "excellent" among everyone in the town.

How blessed I am to be their teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a note!

Related Posts with Thumbnails