»

Monday, October 25, 2010

Why we use Horizons Math


Homeschooling moms are funny. We are nosy! As soon as we meet another homeschooler, the first thing out of our mouths is always "What curriculum do you use?"
I am among the guilty of always scooping out the newest best choices for educating my children before remembering that newer, "better" curriculum is NOT what homeschooling is all about to me!

That said, we are loyal to Horizons math. A lot of people ask why, so I'm here to tell you.

When we first started homeschooling our oldest child, I had no idea about curriculum companies and catalogs! But a friend had bought a full Kindergarten package, but due to her child's disabilities, public school was the best choice for them. So we used Horizons Math K  because that was what she had given us!

The next year I decided to skip grade 1 and go straight to grade 2 math with Peter. I had liked Horizons, but wasn't loyal to it, I would have used any math program. But money was tight at the time I needed to purchase the books.  I prayed about it and posted a want ad on Freecycle for any grade 2 math book thinking it wouldn't lead to anything but.... The next day a nice woman shows up at my door with the complete Math 2 Horizons boxed set. Said she had purchased it some time ago and didn't even have children yet. My prayer was answered! Yep, I was pretty sure God wanted us to use Horizons!

Grade 3  comes around and I'm at the local thrift store and what is on the shelf for 1.99 a book? Yep Horizons Math 3! At this point it was pretty much cemented this was the math the Lord wanted us to use!

And even though my children have completely different learning styles, these books have worked well for both! And through my research, I feel like I am laying a solid math base for them. 

I did buy Math 4 new, but then a couple months later  I came across a friend selling off a HUGE stack of misc. grades super cheap!  I ended up with Grades K, 1, 2 and 3 for Andrew and Grade 5 for Peter, and Grade K for Abigail at a fraction of the price!

And our story still isn't finished. Today grade 6 arrived via Paperback Swap!

So mamas, I want to remind you God cares about the little things in our lives too! Even the math we use for our children! Don't forget to  pray for His leading in curriculum purchases, rather than trust other families' results.

1 comment:

  1. After trying three other math programs, we LOVE Horizons too! It is totally adaptable to each child's needs (my 6-year-old is in Horizons 2; my 9-year-olds in Horizons 3), and they all look forward to Math time! My husband's only complaint after looking at the Horizons 3 Teacher's Guide: "What do squirrels have to do with third grade math?!?" :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a note!

Related Posts with Thumbnails