After my post on my homemade candles, quite a few of you emailed me to ask how I make them.
Here is a great post on WHY I make my own candles- not to mention it is so much fun, and cheaper too (in the long run,not up front)!
I went with Brambleberry because a friend with a soap making business told me they were best. Plus they are local!
I bought-
*10 lbs of EcoSoya Advanced Wax
*Cd-12 Wicks (30).
I bought-
*10 lbs of EcoSoya Advanced Wax
*Cd-12 Wicks (30).
* Fragrance Oils
*I also got my pitcher from Michael's with a 40% off coupon.
* and a box of half pint mason jars from the Commissary
Plus I collected some old empty Partylite jars from friends
!!!Be sure any container you use is made for high heat, or else they could explode and hurt someone!!!
* and a box of half pint mason jars from the Commissary
Plus I collected some old empty Partylite jars from friends
!!!Be sure any container you use is made for high heat, or else they could explode and hurt someone!!!
First, I line my counters with waxed paper before starting, to make sure they stay clean.
I weigh out how much wax I need, 1 lb at a time is what I usually do.
(I start with 1 oz of fragrance oil for every pound of wax, and add more as needed from there. I usually need to add more, because I like the candles to scent my whole home).
I use my kitchen scale to weight the oil. I weigh the full bottle, and then pour a little oil and keep weighing the bottle to make sure it is an ounce lighter.
I weigh out how much wax I need, 1 lb at a time is what I usually do.
(I start with 1 oz of fragrance oil for every pound of wax, and add more as needed from there. I usually need to add more, because I like the candles to scent my whole home).
I use my kitchen scale to weight the oil. I weigh the full bottle, and then pour a little oil and keep weighing the bottle to make sure it is an ounce lighter.
I used my large sauce pot (this picture is a medium pan, I had the large one full of food this time) , and filled it 3/4 with water and brought it to a boil. Once it boiled I lowered the heat to a simmer and put my pitcher of wax in. I stirred the wax with a chopstick until it was completely melted.
*Do not heat wax directly over a flame. It will combust, Always use a double boiler.
Then I took my pitcher out of the water and poured in my scent. I stirred well until it was completely incorporated, then I poured it into the prepared jars.
I use a clothes pin to center the wick before pouring the wax in. After pouring the wax I make sure they are still straight.
Do NOT try to put the wicks in AFTER you have poured the wax.
I use a clothes pin to center the wick before pouring the wax in. After pouring the wax I make sure they are still straight.
Do NOT try to put the wicks in AFTER you have poured the wax.
They cool in just a couple hours, then I trim the wick and they are ready to go!
1 lb of wax made 2 half pint jars and a small Partylight barrel jar
2 lbs made 4 half pint jars, and then one small Partylite barrel jar.
1 lb of wax made 2 half pint jars and a small Partylight barrel jar
2 lbs made 4 half pint jars, and then one small Partylite barrel jar.
I love that they burn cleanly and completely, once it is used up I can just wipe out the holder and use it again!
I love the candle idea great job. thk you so much for sharing it :
ReplyDeleteI love these. My mom gave me all her old candle making supplies including about 100lbs of soy wax. I really need to dig it out of the closet and get busy.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing at Handmade Christmas 2012 (http://www.schneiderpeeps.com/2012/10/homemade-gifts-for-women.html)