Peter recently did his yearly state mandated assessment, and we were informed that this year we should have learned about Washington State History.
I started to panic, because I don't have any curriculum for that, so I hopped on to the library's website. They have a few books, but they are all considered "reference" and you are not able to check them out. How was I supposed to teach state history?!?
So I started thinking, if I were going to teach about the history of our state, what would I cover?
Native Americans? Wait, we already learned about them when we visited Tillicum Village last summer.
The Pioneers? We covered that too, at Fort Nisqually and Ferndale Pioneer Park the Pioneer Cemetary in Coupeville and the Lynden Pioneer Museum.
Wars? We learned about the Pig War and visited the American Camp and the English Camp on San Juan Island.
What about the mining camp at Deception Pass, or the pirates that used to live here? Or the logging industry in Washington? Oh wait, we learned about those already too on our Deception Pass Boat Tour!
I sat down and made a list of the historical places we visited over the last year and realized we DID study State History this year, and never even knew it!
We've also been to The Island County Historical Museum, the Skagit County Historical Museum, The Flight Museum, The CCC Museum, Fort Casey, Fort Ebey, have been to the PBY museum enough times that my 10 year old could probably be a tour guide! Plus who knows what else that has slipped my mind.
And now we have also enjoyed the Anacortes Museum, and the Maritime Museum
I love homeschooling!






That's almost 'unschooling', isn't it? How fun to find out you had a superior education for your children!
ReplyDeleteThat Church you posted from the Ferndale Pioneer Park is the first Church in Whatcom County and it was originally built at the end of our street we live on now. Cool eh?
ReplyDelete