»

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Want a Smart Child?


Here is how I got one!
Step 1: Find out what your child likes
example a: birds
example b: insects
2: Go to the Library and find EVERY book on the subject you can (even adult books). Read them to and with your child! (Be prepared to check out the same books over and over until memorized!) Try to find books specific to your region as well as general information.
example a: BackYard Birds
example B: Bugs of Washington
3. On the next holiday ask Grandma to send educational objects on the subject as opposed to MORE  plastic toys! (We also ask for good field guides)
example A: bird feeders, bird bath, bird foods (Suet, seeds etc), binocular, field guide
example b:  Pocket Guides   Bug Land
4. Get your hands on the object if possible (go to a zoo, raise insects through all the lifecycles, observe birds, go to an aquarium, a bat class, a nature hike)
example a: find local audobon chapter, go to owl lectures, get on cornell’s mailing list
example b: raising butterflies
5. Spend time learning with your child and learning to identify the things they love
example A: rufous hummingbird, purple finch, white crowned sparrow
example b: tiger moth caterpillar, painted lady butterfly, german cockroach, potato beetle
6. Start over with next  object of interest
examples: sharks, airplanes, origami,  Israel,  Revolutionary War
The BEST part of homeschooling is I get to learn alongside him! I never learned the things we learn in all my years of school, even in AP and advanced college courses! And he is only in 3rd grade!
P.S I’m constanlt adding items I recommend on my Widget (green box on left side) so be sure to check it out!

Currently reading :
Louder Than Words: A Mother’s Journey in Healing Autism
By Jenny McCarthy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a note!

Related Posts with Thumbnails